Members of a WHO early warning network in the area and a team from WHO headquarters have been working with health authorities in Yambio County to set up a crisis committee to contain the outbreak, officials said. The committee is supporting case management in Yambio hospital and organizing the follow-up of contacts of case-patients. May 24, 2004 (CIDRAP News) Nineteen cases of Ebola hemorrhagic fever, with four deaths, have been reported in southern Sudan, the World Health Organization (WHO) said today. The outbreak is in Yambio County of Western Equatoria province, the agency said. Cases appear to be restricted to Yambio, but neighboring countries have been notified. The WHO said it was not recommending any special restrictions on travel or trade as a result of the outbreak. The Kenya Medical Research Institute and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed Ebola virus as the cause of the cases, the WHO said. See also: May 24 WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2004_05_24/en/
Press Association Tears filled Moyes’ eyes at Goodison Park when he waved goodbye to Everton fans last May following the final game of his 11-year spell at the club. The Scot was given a guard of honour, and he struggled to contain his emotions as he walked around the pitch at the end of the 2-0 win over West Ham. Everton qualified for the Champions League in 2005 – although they were defeated by Villarreal in qualifying – and Moyes also led the Merseyside club to the FA Cup final in 2009. The likes of Rooney, Phil Jagielka and Mikel Arteta all flourished under Moyes’ tutelage, but it was United’s £28million bid for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini that turned Everton supporters against their former manager. Just after Everton’s win at Old Trafford, Moyes was forced to deny claims he branded Toffees supporters a “disgrace” for the barracking they gave him. “You get on with your job,” said Moyes when asked how he felt after being verbally abused by Everton fans. “I am Manchester United manager now and that is what I concentrate on. “(Sunday’s) game is not about me, it’s about Everton and Manchester United. “This was the first game I looked for when the fixture list came out. “I was always thinking when would I first be going back to Goodison. “I will go back with great memories. I had great times there. “It will be a strange day, but I’m looking forward to it.” Moyes further angered Everton fans by claiming he was trying to do “the right thing” for Baines and Fellaini by offering them a route out of Goodison. The fact that seventh-placed United are nine points behind Everton suggests Baines was right to stay and commit while Fellaini may have been better off doing so too. The contrast between United’s woeful season under Moyes and Everton’s success with Martinez at the helm could hardly be greater. The failed double-bid does not seem to have damaged Moyes’ relationship with Everton, who branded the offer “derisory” and “insulting” at the time. “I have always had a great relationship with the players, the board and with the chairman,” Moyes said. “I regularly get messages from the players wishing me good luck and I saw the chairman last week at Sunderland, but I go back as Manchester United manager and I am going back there to win.” David Moyes expects an “intimidating” atmosphere when he takes his Manchester United team to Everton for the first time since he left for Old Trafford. But there was little sign of that love last December when Everton visited Old Trafford. Everton, rising up the table, beat United 1-0 and Moyes’ afternoon was soured by a large section of Toffees fans who barracked the Scot and declared their former manager would be sacked in the morning. There is a growing feeling that, despite the pleas of his successor Roberto Martinez, Moyes will be subjected to the same sort of treatment from the terraces on Sunday when he returns. The United manager, who has Wayne Rooney available following his recovery from a toe injury, wants the focus to be on the teams on the pitch, rather than himself, but he could not escape being questioned about the matter at his pre-match press conference on Friday. “It’s always been an intimidating atmosphere at Goodison,” said Moyes when asked about the potential reception he might get. “I was a manager there and I know exactly what it can be like. “Football will be football. I am a football supporter and that is how it works sometimes.” Moyes saved Everton from relegation when he replaced Walter Smith in March 2002 and from then on it was a tale of constant success for the former Preston boss despite budget constraints.
And after missing the cut in his previous six events and playing “awful” in Wednesday’s pro-am, he admitted to looking up flight times back to North Carolina in anticipation of an early exit. “It was much better than I expected coming in here,” said Karlsson, who won the last of his 11 European Tour titles in 2010. “I can take a lot of positives out of it. Obviously getting that close it stings a bit, but it’s part of being a professional golfer. “It’s been a pretty poor five years. I had a good run last year in the middle of summer when I played nicely, but it’s nice to get this one under the belt and hopefully carry on the next few weeks.” Howell defeated Warren by one hole in the third/fourth place play-off, but was left to rue a costly bogey on the 20th hole of his semi-final after recovering from three down with six to play. ” Although Robert played well early on, to lose in a play-off is always frustrating and I made a mistake to do that, so that was all the more annoying,” Howell said. “But i t has been great fun. You can play weeks on end on the Tour without having that crucial moment where you’ve got to hit a good shot or hole the putt to win. In match play you get them every day and every hole. It’s been a great week and the players have really enjoyed it.” Warren, who was five over par in losing 3&2 to Aphibarnrat in the last four, admitted: ”I played absolutely terrible. I don’t think I hit the middle of the club face once and did not really deserve to go any further with that sort of performance.” “T he next step was to win in Europe, I’m happy and proud of myself,” said Aphibarnrat, whose previous wins came in Malaysia and China. Aphibarnrat began the final with three birdies in the first four holes and although an early three-hole lead was cut to one at the turn, he drove the green on the short 11th to set up a birdie and won the 14th when Karlsson three-putted from long range. Karlsson, who had needed 20 holes to defeat former Ryder Cup team-mate David Howell in the semi-finals, was handed a lifeline when Aphibarnrat found water with his approach to the 15th green and did not even attempt to take a penalty drop and hole his fourth shot. “I just wanted to keep the energy to play the last three holes,” he said. “My body was getting so tired after playing 36 holes for the last two days.” A par was enough for Karlsson to win the 16th and a birdie on the 17th got him back on level terms, but it was the man dubbed ‘Asia’s John Daly’ due to his physique, long swing and attacking approach who came out on top. “I was so proud to be described as the John Daly of Asia,” Aphibarnrat added. “I was happy with that. He was one of my idols so I studied him. “I remember a long time ago some guy kept telling me that if I had a long backswing like that I would not grow up to be a professional. Today I can show them it is not just the backswing – it is how you hole putts to make low scores.” Former European number one Karlsson has suffered a number of problems with form and fitness since topping the Order of Merit in 2008, most famously withdrawing from the 2012 Open Championship on the eve of the event because he was unable to start his backswing. Aphibarnrat, who ended hopes of a home victory by knocking out Marc Warren in the semi-finals, was three up with four holes to play but lost the 15th, 16th and 17th and saw Karlsson fire his second shot to the 18th to 10 feet. However, the 26-year-old from Bangkok produced an even better approach from heavy rough and, after Karlsson dragged his birdie attempt wide, holed from four feet for victory and the first prize of £122,000. Thailand’s Kiradech Aphibarnrat held his nerve to win his second European Tour title of the year on Sunday, beating Robert Karlsson in a hard-fought final of the inaugural Saltire Energy Paul Lawrie Matchplay. Press Association
Jamaican manufacturing and distribution company, GraceKennedy is exploring contemplating producing corned beef.This follows the recent implementation of a ban on the importation of the product from Brazil based on reports that several major meat processers were “selling rotten beef and poultry”.Jamaica and other countries in the region have since lifted the ban but GraceKennedy is now interested in producing a “home grown” product.“We recognize that innovation requires thinking outside of the box and because we priorities local production and pursue every opportunity to do so, I have asked the innovation team to look at what it would take to produce corned beef at Grace Food Processors – our meat processing plant in Westmoreland,” said GraceKennedy CEO, Don Wehby.The company’s meat processing plant produces a wide range of products including Grace Vienna Sausages, frankfurters and ham.“It would be great if we could deliver to our consumers “Grace Bully Beef”, manufactured in Savanna-La-mar, Jamaica,” he said adding that the team will explore this innovation and “provide a report to me as soon as possible.”However, Agriculture Minister Karl Samuda says the proposal might not be practical.“I don’t think at the moment that we are in a position to produce our own corned beef. When you talking about the production 4,800 factories in Brazil produce at a volume that the economies of scale would strip us dry, we wouldn’t be able to competitive ….. so we import those things,” Samuda said.The ban on corned beef manufactured in the South American country was lifted following a report that was submitted by a Jamaican delegation that went to Brazil to meet with authorities and inspected operations.Based on the positive findings, the ban was lifted.According to Wehby, the government’s decision is reflective of the due diligence in protecting the health and safety of Jamaica’s citizens .