Serious Sexual Assault charge against TCI Police Force member constable suspended

first_img Related Items:#tcipolice Editorial: Listen to your Mama Recommended for you TCI Police Commissioner says absolute focus is reducing crime, gives some insight into the decreases recorded Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, #TurksandCaicosIslands, March 3, 2018 – Police have arrested and suspended one of their own in an investigation which is spawning condemning comments and raising serious questions about the Force and the man, who is also a trusted leader within the Christian community.A youth pastor, also a Police officer was arrested following a search warrant executed on his Grand Turk home on Thursday night.A Friday morning police report said:  “A Police Constable was arrested on Thursday 1st March 2018, on suspicion of a serious sexual assault and has since been placed on USD$5000 bail.  The Officer is currently on administrative leave.”Social media comments from people who claim to be close to the family are that his wife is also somehow involved in the scandalous case.  It is alleged she threatened the young woman who filed the ‘rape’ report.Police say the Police Constable’s wife is however, not arrested as some public commentaries have indicated.The arrest of the Grand Turk policeman is not the first arrest of a member of the Royal Turks and Caicos Police Force on allegations of sexual assault or misconduct.  There is an ongoing trial involving suspended Police Inspector Hilton Duncan who is accused by a former Police Training School student and lower ranking police woman.The officer arrested on Thursday did pay the $5,000 and is currently out on Police bail. Seven TCI men ‘lost at sea’ found safe on Fish Caylast_img read more

Eielson AFB to Keep F16 Squadron

first_imgEielson Air Force Base will retain its F-16 squadron even if the installation located outside of Fairbanks, Alaska, becomes the home of two new squadrons of F-35A fighters, officials announced Tuesday.  The Air Force had considered moving the base’s 18th Aggressor Squadron late last year after it named Eielson as the preferred alternative for 48 F-35s slated for the Pacific region. But the service determined that Eielson was “the most operationally sound option, as well as the most cost effective,” said Mark Pohlmeier, acting deputy assistant secretary for installations, according to a press release. The Aggressor Squadron plays the role of enemy forces in training exercises.The likely basing of F-35s at Eielson and the retention of the F-16s represents a sharp turn for the base after previous attempts to remove all of its flying units, reported the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. The turnaround primarily stems from the nation’s pivot toward the Asia-Pacific.The Pentagon recommended shifting the base’s F-16 and A-10 squadrons and putting the base in “warm” status during the 2005 round of BRAC, but the BRAC Commission reversed the proposal to move the Aggressor Squadron elsewhere. Separately in 2012, the Air Force proposed moving the F-16 unit to Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Anchorage to save money, but the service eventually shelved the idea.This week’s announcement also signals a significant economic boost for the Fairbanks region, as the construction required for the F-35 squadrons will be greater with the F-16s staying put, according to the News-Miner. The unit accounts for 2,300 military and civilian jobs at Eielson. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more

PMO asks Finance Minister to reexamine sovereign bond proposal

first_imgFinance Ministry officials had said the government could raise about 10-15 per cent of the proposed Rs 7.1 lakh crore government borrowings this fiscal through sovereign bonds. TwitterThe Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) wants the Finance Ministry to re-look the idea of issuing foreign currency overseas sovereign bonds and critically examine issues raised by former bankers and economists before taking any call on implementing the budget proposal.The PMO has asked the ministry to seek more consultation from stake-holders before proceeding with any plans. Finance Ministry officials had said the government could raise about 10-15 per cent of the proposed Rs 7.1 lakh crore government borrowings this fiscal through sovereign bonds.The chief architect of the proposed bond was the former Finance Secretary Subhash Chandra Garg and he had a lone supporter in this campaign. Chief Economic Adviser Krishnamurthy Subramanian had said this is the right opportunity for India to raise funds through overseas sovereign bonds at a much cheaper rate, compared with those in the domestic market.Garg has since been moved to the Power Ministry and the sudden move just after the Budget presentation and its approval by Parliament is being seen by many paying the price for pushing the idea of foreign money into India by a government led by a largely nationalist, right-wing party where the ‘swadeshi’ card evokes sentiments. The former Finance Secretary is being seen as hurting such sentiments, while former RBI Governors and other experts shot down the idea as risky.The opposition to the proposed bond is widespread. The government should not issue foreign sovereign debt without getting into larger public consultations, and the many arguments it has given in favour of issuing such securities do not hold, Rathin Roy, member of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister, had recently said.He said government should pay attention to what several former Governors of the Reserve Bank of India are saying, the sovereign liabilities are in perpetuity.Roy also dismissed the contention that such bonds are cheaper after the hedging costs are added. Noting there was a reason why the country hadn’t issued overseas debt for 70 years, he had said that Brazil, Argentina, Turkey, Greece, and Indonesia had all paid a price for foreign currency sovereign borrowings.”I have grave concerns about this proposal on grounds of economic sovereignty, and about the macroeconomic consequences… the government should instead look at relaxing the rupee bond limits for foreign portfolio investors,” Roy said.Former RBI Governors Raghuram Rajan, C. Rangarajan and Y.V. Redy and former Chief Statistician Pronab Sen had also raised concerns over the Finance Ministry’s proposal.Rajan has said that any plan to issue foreign currency debt has no real benefit and is fraught with risks. A global bond sale won’t reduce the amount of domestic government bonds the local market has to absorb and the country should worry about short-term “faddish investors buying when India is hot, and dumping us when it is not”, he had written in a newspaper column.Rangarajan has said that borrowing in foreign currencies may expose the economy to risks as the rupee’s depreciation or current account deficit cannot be contained in the long run. Former Finance Minister Yashwant Sinha has said that even in the face of the 1991 balance of payment crisis, the government did not go for sovereign bonds.The main fear is as they argued it could create long-term economic risks by exposing the government’s liabilities to currency fluctuations.All of these experts had suggested issuing rupee bonds instead of foreign currency bonds.In an interaction with IANS, Ashiwini Mahajan, the co-convenor of the RSS-affiliated Swadeshi Jagran Manch (SJM), said: “About 95 per cent of the experts are saying the move is risky. The average depreciation in the rupee is 6.23 per cent in the last few years. The overseas rates of interest is 3.25 per cent, so together it makes 9.5 per cent.”In India, the government borrows at 6-7 per cent. So how the foreign currency bonds are cheap? The whole idea of a sovereign bonds is bad idea for any other country, not just for India. Everywhere the sovereign borrowing has led these countries into the debt trap, into the vortex of debt. It is a risk not worth taking. It is a foolish idea.”The benchmark 10-year bond yield rose as much as 11 basis points to 6.55 per cent after the news of a rethink of the proposal, as market participants fear this may boost government borrowing in the domestic market.Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, in her maiden Budget speech on July 5, had announced: “India’s sovereign external debt to GDP is among the lowest globally at less than 5 per cent. The government would start raising a part of its gross borrowing programme in external markets in external currencies. This will also have beneficial impact on demand situation for the government securities in domestic market.”Garg had told Indian business leaders last week that the overseas debt move was part of efforts to bring down real interest rates for Indian firms, and to help the economy grow faster.last_img read more

6 get life for murder in Khulna

first_imgA court in Khulna Wednesday sentenced six people to life imprisonment for murdering a trader in a bomb attack in 2010, reports UNB.The convicts are Akter Jamil alias Boni, son of late Firoj Ahmed, Jahidul Islam alias Babu Bhuiyan, son of late Nur Mohammad Bhuiyan of Phultala upazila, M Alam Shiekh, son of late Barkat Ali of Narail district, Monirul Islam, son of Golam Mustafa, Al Mamun alias Bomaru Mamun, son of Siddikur Rahman and Bipul Bairagi, son of Debendra Nath Bairagi of the same district.The court also fined them Tk 50,000 each. In case of failure to pay the fine, they will have to suffer five years more rigorous imprisonment.According to the prosecution, Azad Gazi, a trader of Phultala upazila, died after sustaining severe injuries in a bomb attack by the convicts at Uttar Aloka village in Phultala upazila on 2 February 2010 over demanding extortion of Tk 3 millions.Victim’s brother Abdus Sobhan filed a case accusing unnamed people. On 26 February 2012, police submitted a chargesheet against six accused in the case.After examining the records and witnesses, Public Safety Disturbance Crime Prevention Tribunal of Khulna judge SM Solaiman handed down the verdict.last_img read more

Air Transat announces departure of President Lemay

first_img Monday, November 12, 2018 Posted by Travelweek Group MONTREAL — After five years at the helm of Air Transat, President and General Manager Jean-François Lemay will be leaving the airline.The announcement was made by parent company Transat A.T., which confirmed that Lemay will be leaving his role in a few month’s time following more than seven years in total at the company. Lemay will continue in his current role until Transat announces a successor.“We respect Jean-François’ decision to take on new challenges,” said Annick Guérard, Transat’s Chief Operating Officer. “I wish to acknowledge his significant contribution to the development and growth of our air operations in recent years, and express my deepest appreciation for his commitment and for the tremendous work he has accomplished.”During his tenure, Lemay oversaw a number of structure-enhancing projects for the air carrier, including reducing its air costs, establishing a new senior management team, driving growth through the insourcing of Air Transat’s narrow-body fleet, operating the so-called double flexible fleet, and transforming the fleet, which will consist entirely of Airbus aircraft by 2022. Sharecenter_img Tags: Air Transat, Departures Air Transat announces departure of President Lemay << Previous PostNext Post >>last_img read more