HALIFAX – The defence in the case of a Halifax university student accused of murder closed its case Tuesday, saying William Sandeson remains “confident” after weeks of testimony at the jury trial.Sandeson is charged with the first-degree murder of 22-year-old Dalhousie University student Taylor Samson, whose body has never been found.The Crown has alleged Samson was murdered in Sandeson’s south end Halifax apartment in the midst of a drug deal.Lawyer Eugene Tan says his client, who has taken an active role in his own case, has been “holding up very well” throughout the eight-week trial.“He’s very invested in his own defence. He knows the case extremely well,” said Tan outside of Nova Scotia Supreme Court on Tuesday.“You’ve probably seen him looking up things, passing notes to us, making references to specific pages of evidence and giving it to us. He has maintained his focus on this trial.”Closing arguments in the case will be presented Monday, with the judge expected to instruct the jury the following day.Tan said the defence will argue that the police investigation into Samson’s death was not adequate.He said police put their focus on Sandeson too early in the investigation without looking at other possible suspects.“There were a lot of leads that were presented, some of which we feel were substantive and should have been pursued,” said Tan.“At the end of the day we feel that in a lot of ways, there was a result that was sought and everything along the way was used to justify that result, to the exclusion of other possibilities.”Sandeson did not testify at the trial. Tan said defence lawyers did consider putting him on the stand, and that was an “open question up until today.”The trial heard DNA was recovered from a bullet, gun, tarp, duffel bag and other items seized from Sandeson’s Henry Street apartment in Halifax and his family’s farm in Truro.It heard the medical student was deep in debt and under pressure from his parents about his spending in the weeks before he allegedly murdered Samson.The jury has also heard Samson was to sell Sandeson 20 pounds of marijuana for $40,000 the night of Aug. 15, 2015. Court has heard Samson was last seen alive on video that night, walking into Sandeson’s apartment shortly before 10:30 p.m.On Tuesday, Sandeson’s former girlfriend testified she smelled bleach when she returned to Sandeson’s apartment later that same evening.Sonja Gashus told the jury she had gone out to dinner with Sandeson, and was told by him she would need to leave his apartment for a period of time later that night — something she described as unusual.The recent Dalhousie graduate later testified that she believed Sandeson was conducting a drug deal.Gashus — who dated Sandeson for roughly eight months and is no longer with him — said she did not approve of Sandeson’s involvement in selling drugs, especially after he was accepted into medical school earlier that year.“I believed that it was him making a deal and he said that he was going to get out of the whole thing,” the 23-year-old woman told the jury of the night of Aug. 15, 2015, later saying she thought Sandeson was selling off his drug dealing business the night Samson disappeared.Gashus said she went to a friend’s home nearby and received a text message from Sandeson at around 12:30 a.m. on Aug. 16, 2015, telling her she could return to his apartment.She said she smelled cleaning products when she arrived there, but nothing else about his apartment was out of the ordinary. Under cross-examination, she told the Crown she didn’t see any blood, but told police the apartment wreaked of bleach.She said Sandeson had told her three people had arrived at the apartment to bid on his drug dealing business, and one of the individuals hit another individual and that caused him to bleed. She said that he told her the smell of cleaner was from him cleaning up the blood.Note to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version said the judge would instruct the jury Tuesday.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:beach, cpr, death, North Carolina, ocean, Snorkel, vacation, water Former US President Barack Obama Visits Turks and Caicos Bahamas Govt to pay for residents new notable water supply Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppPolice say despite CPR being administered to the 40 year old tourist man yesterday on that lower Bight beach, he died after 4pm; it was pronounced so by the medics at Cheshire Hall Medical Center by minutes to 6pm. The man, reported to Magnetic Media to be from North Carolina, complained of not feeling well to his girlfriend and was brought to shore but lost consciousness. The couple had arrived in Provo on Sunday and was out snorkeling when they abruptly ended their fun. There is no identity released as yet; Police say the man was brought to shore near the Beach House and that autopsy will say for sure how he died. Haitian gov’t official under investigation commits suicide
Huddersfield Town Caretaker Head Coach Mark Hudson has urged his side rise to the challenge when Manchester City visit the Amex Stadium on Sunday.Hudson was appointed caretaker coach after David Wagner left the club on Monday by mutual consent.He faces a tough task of preparing the Terriers for a Premier League game against a Manchester City side that is currently seven points behind league leaders Liverpool.Premier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“Man City is a world-class team with a world-class manager, Happy Birthday by the way Pep, but we’ve just got to look forward to it,” he told the club’s website.“We have to show intent, it’s all about us, what we can do this week on the training field and go into the game with real intent to try and pose them as many problems as we can.“That’s not to underestimate them in any means, but we have to focus on us; that’s what we’ve been good on over the past three years.”
The rail communications between Sylhet and rest of the country resumed on Monday afternoon after being suspended for at least three hours due to a hill slide triggered by heavy rainfalls in Lauachhara forest of Kamalganj in Moulvibazar of Sylhet, reports news agency UNB.The communication resumed after cleaning all the mud from the rail track at around 12:00pm, witnesses said.Earlier, a large chunk of mud fell on the rail track at Lauachhara hilly area halting the communication since 8:15am this morning, Sreemangal Station master Faizur Rahman said.
Sri Lankan soldier keep watching outside the ceylon petroleum corporation in Colombo on 28 October 2018. Photo: AFPA constitutional crisis gripping Sri Lanka since the president’s shock dismissal of prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe erupted into violence Sunday, with a man shot dead and two others injured in Colombo.Police said bodyguards for a Sri Lankan cabinet minister allied to Wickremesinghe opened fire inside a government ministry as a mob loyal to president Maithripala Sirisena besieged the minister’s office. Three people were injured but a 34-year-old man died shortly after.It was the first fatality since Sirisena sacked Wickremesinghe on Friday and installed a former strongman as prime minister, triggering political chaos in the Indian Ocean nation.Wickremesinghe has refused to vacate the prime minister’s official residence, barricading himself inside as over 1,000 supporters, including chanting Buddhist monks, rallied outside.The 69-year-old says his sacking is illegal, and wants an emergency session of parliament held to prove he still commands a majority.Sirisena shut parliament for nearly three weeks to forestall any challenge to his appointment of Mahinda Rajapakse, a former president accused of wartime abuses.Rajapakse sought blessings at a prominent Buddhist temple Sunday as he jostled to consolidate his claim to the prime ministership.But Wickremesinghe got a boost as Sri Lanka’s parliamentary speaker refused to endorse his sacking.Speaker Karu Jayasuriya backed Wickremesinghe’s request to retain his privileges and security until another candidate could prove a majority in parliament, saying it was “democratic and fair”.He also warned the president that shuttering parliament risked “serious and undesirable consequences for the country”.Opposition leader Rajavarothiam Sampanthan urged Jayasuriya to summon parliament immediately.“I hereby call upon yourself to uphold the rule of law by summoning parliament… to perform its legitimate functions,” said Sampanthan, who represents Sri Lanka’s minority Tamil community.Officials loyal to Rajapakse said police will now seek a court order to evict Wickremesinghe from the residence, threatening to escalate the standoff.Soldiers had been stationed near the residence, although Wickremesinghe’s security and official cars were withdrawn Saturday.Tensions were high across Colombo, with police leave cancelled amid warnings street violence could break out if the president did not immediately summon parliament to end the impasse.“Don’t try to create a civil war in this country,” party legislator Karunarathna Paranawithana told reporters at the prime minister’s residence.Regional neighbours and Western nations have urged all sides to exercise restraint and respect the constitution.ShootingBut violence broke out inside the petroleum ministry as police guarding Minister Arjuna Ranatunga fired on a mob surrounded his office.Witnesses saw Ranatunga, 54, also a former World Cup winning cricket captain, rushed from the scene in a tactical helmet and body armour by police commandos.In his first televised address to the nation since the crisis began, Sirisena said Sunday he sacked Wickremesinghe over personal and political disputes.“Apart from our ideological differences, we also had serious cultural differences,” Sirisena said, referring to Wickremesinghe’s liberal background and his own rural conservative upbringing.He said he had no choice but to appoint Rajapakse, and urged parliament to support him.Loyalists of Rajapakse—whose controversial decade-long rule was marked by grave allegations of rights abuses, the crushing of the Tamil Tiger uprising, and growing authoritarianism—were appointed Sunday to run the country’s two state-run television channels and a newspaper.Plans to appoint some cabinet members had been delayed until Monday, aides said. Rajapakse is yet to make a formal statement since being elevated to the new post.The strongman is seen as being closer to China than Wickremesinghe, who had sought to re-establish stronger ties with traditional ally and regional power India.New Delhi said it was “closely following” events in Colombo.The United States and European Union ambassadors have called on the Sri Lankan rivals to follow the constitution and avoid violence.‘Constitutional coup’Privately-run newspapers on Sunday described Sirisena’s move as a “constitutional coup”.However, Rajapakse loyalist and former foreign minister G. L. Peiris said there was nothing illegal about Wickremesinghe’s dismissal.The falling-out between Wickremesinghe and Sirisena has come to a head since the president this year backed a no-confidence motion against the man he had handpicked to lead the government.The two allied against Rajapakse in the 2015 election, but their relationship steadily soured.Sirisena initially said he would be a one-term president but has since indicated he will seek re-election next year—pitting himself against Wickremesinghe who also has presidential ambitions.This is the second time that a president has ousted Wickremesinghe from office. In 2004, the then head of state sacked him and called snap elections.After winning the premiership in August 2015, Wickremesinghe amended the constitution to remove the president’s power to sack prime ministers to prevent a repeat of his earlier ouster.
Share Photo: Houston Parks and Recreation Department via FacebookThe U.S. Soccer Foundation, the Houston Parks and Recreation Department and Target have unveiled two new soccer play spaces at Eastwood Park, located in southeast Houston.The U.S. Soccer Foundation, the Houston Parks and Recreation Department and Target unveiled this week two new soccer play spaces at Eastwood Park, located in southeast Houston.The grand opening marked the first of 100 soccer play spaces that Target has committed to build in collaboration with the U.S. Soccer Foundation across the country by 2020 as part of a program called ‘Safe Places to Play’.The soccer spaces support the Foundation’s ‘It’s Everyone’s Game’ campaign, which aims to ensure children in underserved communities can benefit from playing soccer.“Through soccer, children learn to develop healthier habits, work as a team, and cultivate critical life skills,” Ed Foster-Simeon, President & CEO of the U.S. Soccer Foundation, said in a news release from the Foundation.According to the news release, Target will provide $6 million to support the Foundation’s efforts to turn underutilized spaces into safe and accessible soccer spaces and increase access to sports-based youth programming.
Mekhligunj: Five hundred Forward Bloc supporters joined Trinamool Congress at a function here on Sunday afternoon.Rabindranath Ghosh, Trinamool Congress president of Cooch Behar district and state minister for North Bengal Development, handed over party flags to them.Trinamool Congress held a programme to felicitate Paresh Adhikari, former state Food minister who joined the party from Forward Bloc in Kolkata on August 17. Partha Chatterjee, secretary general of the party, had handed over the party flag in a function at Trinamool Bhavan. Adhikari was the secretary of Cooch Behar district of Forward Bloc.Forward Bloc in Cooch Behar has received a major blow with Adhikari’s joining. He is a good organiser and is popular among the youth. His joining will strengthen the base of Trinamool Congress in the district, party leaders said.
It’s a parent’s worst nightmare: Photos of their kids’ smiling faces stolen by a stranger online, along with identifying information including their names, genders, birth dates, mailing addresses and the contents of their private chats.Thanks to a security breach at toy maker VTech, that nightmare just became a reality for thousands of parents.Yesterday, the children’s toymaker admitted that it’s on the hook for exposing all of the above private data, plus additional personal information.The alarming breach, apparently perpetrated by a white hat hacker on a mission to reveal cracks in VTech’s security protocols, was first uncovered by Motherboard. The anonymous hacker told the publication that she has no intention of publishing or selling the stolen data. Her sole aim, she says, is to raise awareness and alert parents. Related: What Every Online Business Needs to Know About the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act“Frankly, it makes me sick that I was able to get all this stuff,” she told Motherboard. “VTech should have the book thrown at them.”In addition to eyeing a flurry of proprietary personal data, she claims she accessed tens of thousands of photos of kids and parents on VTech’s servers, many of them headshots.For any questions in regards to our recent security breach, please reach out to our team at: email@example.com or 1-800-521-2010.— VTech Toys (@vtechtoys) November 30, 2015The Hong Kong-based electronics giant confirmed in a statement that a Nov. 14 hack of its “Learning Lodge” app store database betrayed the intimate details of nearly 5 million adult customer accounts, including IP and email addresses, passwords, login secret questions and answers and device download histories. The statement does not mention the theft of photos.Related: What Entrepreneurs Should Know About the Laws Protecting Children OnlineWhile customers’ credit card data was not compromised, the identifying information of some 200,000 children was also exposed. Learning Lodge enables VTech product users — mainly kids — to download educational games, ebooks and apps to their Internet-connected VTech toys.If not for Motherboard’s investigation into the anonymous hacker’s claims, VTech might never have picked up on its servers’ vulnerabilities. VTech claims it has since corrected its server susceptibilities and says it is taking added steps to bolster security. The company has also emailed every customer in its Learning Lodge database to inform them of the hack.Related: Classroom Tech Delivers ‘No Noticeable Improvement’ in Student Performance, Study Finds Register Now » Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global 3 min read Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. December 1, 2015