“I think the club is talking with Steven’s representatives so there is no update on that.” After a turgid first half performance the Reds improved after the break, but it took Johnson’s diving header after Rickie Lambert’s header had bounced down off the crossbar to finally break the deadlock. But Liverpool were also indebted to goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, whose high-profile blunder in midweek against Ludogorets only increased the spotlight on him after some indifferent performances. The Belgian made one brilliant close-range save to deny Mame Biram Diouf just before Johnson struck while Bojan Krkic also hit a post. “He has made a couple of great saves. We asked him to simplify his game and do what he is good at, which is shot-stopping,” said Rodgers. “He came for a couple of crosses at the end when the pressure was on and he made a couple of great saves, and I am very pleased for him as he is a very good guy who is working hard at his game.” Stoke boss Mark Hughes was deflated he could not break the Potters’ woeful run at Anfield, where they have not won a top-flight match in 51 attempts and last scored in 1983. “We feel a little bit disappointed. We put a huge effort in,” he said. “Our record here hasn’t been great. We thought this was a real opportunity to wipe the slate clean and get a positive result. “In the first half Liverpool created very little. In the second half it became more open because we were looking for a winner.” Press Association “I spoke to him yesterday and he didn’t mention it so I felt bad when I saw about 20 pictures on the programme. “Steven is in a part of his career when he is not going to play every minute of every game. “He played Palace and he played Ludogorets when he was outstanding and put in a huge amount of effort, and we have other players here who can come in and do a job and Steven understands that. “I need to look at each game. We have good players that are fresh. “He came on and gave a great contribution towards the end and his experience and stature in the game helped us at that point, but I thought the team overall was excellent.” Gerrard’s contract expires at the end of this season and the 34-year-old has said he is not yet prepared to hang up his boots, like close friend Jamie Carragher did the season before last. But with questions being asked about how much longer Gerrard can be effective at the highest level, a new deal may not be as straightforward as it once was. “Not that I am aware of,” was Rodgers’ response when asked whether there had been any progress on a new contract. Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers had no idea it was the 16th anniversary of Steven Gerrard’s debut and felt bad leaving him out of the team for the 1-0 win over Stoke. However, the captain was on the pitch when the winner was scored by Glen Johnson five minutes from time to end a three-match losing streak in the Premier League. “I wasn’t aware it was 16 years until I walked into the dressing room and saw the programme,” said the Reds boss.
Last Updated: 10th November, 2019 10:44 IST Australian Boxer Dwight Ritchie Dies In Sparring Accident Australia’s boxing community was in shock Sunday after middleweight Dwight Ritchie collapsed and died aged just 27, reportedly while sparring Australia’s boxing community was in shock Sunday after middleweight Dwight Ritchie collapsed and died aged just 27, reportedly while sparring. Sydney’s Daily Telegraph said he took a body shot on Saturday, walked back to his corner and collapsed. He could not be revived. It said he was sparring in Melbourne with Michael Zerefa, who is preparing for a rematch with Jeff Horn, a former WBO welterweight champion. Ritchie’s promoter Jake Ellis confirmed the news on Facebook.READ | Shooting: Tejaswini Sawant Wins India’s 12th Olympic Quota Place Press Trust Of India Ritchie’s death comes less than a month after American boxer Patrick Day died after suffering a serious brain injury during his knockout defeat to Charles Conwell in Chicago. He was the third boxer to die from injuries sustained in the ring this year. Argentina’s Hugo Santillan died in July following a bout in San Nicolas, just north of Buenos Aires. His death came just two days after Russian fighter Maxim Dadashev died from brain injuries sustained in a fight in Maryland.READ | Conor McGregor’s DNA Tests Prove Allegations Against Him Were FalseREAD | UFC: Khabib Nurmagomedov Says McGregor Needs 10 Wins Before Rematch He last fought in August, losing to Tim Tszyu by a unanimous decision for the IBF Australasian super welterweight title. 10 months ago Brett Lee turns 43: Relive Australian pacer’s great accolades WE RECOMMEND First Published: 10th November, 2019 10:44 IST “I am truly saddened by the passing of Dwight Richie,” Tszyu said on Instagram. “Only fighters understand the bond shared between them, especially those who shared a ring together. Rest In Peace to a true champion.” READ | Tokyo Olympics 2020: Nikhat Zareen Wants To Fight Mary Kom In Trial 10 months ago Mass slaughter of Australian racehorses prompts investigation “It is with great sadness and shock to announce that the fighting cowboy Dwight Ritchie sadly passed away today doing what he loved,” he said. “As Dwight’s promoter and friend it’s unbearable to accept the tragic news that’s just surfaced.” Richie, nicknamed “The Fighting Cowboy”, held a 19-2 record. COMMENT 10 months ago US boxer Patrick Day ‘extremely critical’ after match with Cornwall WATCH US LIVE LIVE TV Written By SUBSCRIBE TO US 10 months ago PM Narendra Modi has wonderful gesture for Australian PM Morrison 9 months ago Australia-Chile women’s friendly attracts record 20,029 fans FOLLOW US
NEW YORK — Major League Baseball players ignored claims by clubs that they need to take additional pay cuts, instead proposing they receive a far higher percentage of salaries and commit to a longer schedule as part of a counteroffer to start the coronavirus-delayed season.Players proposed a 114-game regular season Sunday, up from 82 in management’s offer, a person familiar with the plan told The Associated Press. Done that way, the World Series could extend past Thanksgiving.The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no details were announced.Opening day would be June 30 and the regular season would end Oct. 31, nearly five weeks after the Sept. 27 conclusion that MLB’s proposal stuck to from the season’s original schedule. Chargers’ Linval Joseph vows to protect SoFi Stadium with or without fans Players proposed new events that could increase revenue, such as a postseason or offseason All-Star Game and Home Run Derby. They also asked for $100 million more in salary to be advanced during the resumption of spring training.A player would receive about 70% of his salary, or 114/162nds, under the union plan.The union and MLB agreed March 26 that players would receive prorated shares of salaries, part of the deal in which if the season is scrapped each player was guaranteed service time for 2020 matching what the player earned in 2019. The union also was guaranteed $170 million in salary advances.While the union says salaries were dealt with then, that agreement covered only games in regular-season ballparks and with fans. The deal called for “good faith” negotiations for games without fans or at neutral sites.MLB told the union that players would get 89% of revenue in an 82-game schedule with prorated salaries and clubs would combine to lose $640,000 for each additional game. The union has questioned the accounting.MLB’s offer called for spring training to resume in mid-June and for the season to start around the Fourth of July. The club proposal would take the prorated salaries and reduce them again in a sliding scale.Those at the $563,500 minimum would get about 47% and those at the top — led by the Angels’ Mike Trout and the New York Yankees’ Gerrit Cole at $36 million — would receive less than 23%.Management proposed $200 million of salaries would be contingent on the postseason’s completion.All players would have the right to opt out of the season under the union plan. Those who meet qualifications for high risk or reside with a person who qualifies as high risk would receive salary and major league service. Others who opt out would receive major league service time but no salary.If the postseason is not held because of a second wave, the union plan calls for $100 million in salary to be deferred with interest, payable in November 2021 and November 2022. Only players whose original 2020 salaries were $10 million or more would be subject to having money deferred.The union estimates high-payroll teams would have up to $7 million in payroll relief, the person said.Related Articles Jacob Blake shooting weighing on Clippers, Mavericks and others in NBA bubble The union offered scheduling flexibility to include more doubleheaders as baseball crams the games into 123 days, leaving little room for days off.MLB’s proposal Tuesday would lower 2020 salaries from about $4 billion to approximately $1.2 billion. The union’s offer would have salaries total about $2.8 billion.The plan was given to MLB during an 80-minute teleconference meeting among Commissioner Rob Manfred, deputy commissioner Dan Halem, union head Tony Clark and union chief negotiator Bruce Meyer. The meeting was contentious, a person familiar with it said.Like MLB, the union would increase postseason teams from 10 to 14. But unlike MLB, the players’ proposal would extend the postseason about a month past its usual end. MLB has said it is worried about a second wave of the coronavirus in the autumn.While management proposed an expanded postseason for 2020 only, the union offered it for this year and next. Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros Photos: Clippers leading Mavericks in Game 5 of their first-round playoff series Harvard-Westlake alum Lucas Giolito throws no-hitter for White Sox Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error