2020 Audi S6 gets its USmarket pricing still no Avant though

first_img6:29 Audi’s corporate grille keeps getting bigger, but so does the S6’s performance. We’ll let it slide. Audi We’ve known the specs of the forthcoming 2020 Audi S6 for a while now, for both European and US models, but one thing we’ve been kept in the dark on was just how much it’d cost stateside. Not anymore. Audi on Thursday announced US pricing for its hotted-up midsizer, and we’re definitely interested.So just how much can you expect to shell out for your fancy German Q-ship? For the entry-level Premium Plus trim, you’ll spend $73,900, which actually compares favorably with the E53 AMG, which is only slightly cheaper but down 15 hp and a whopping 59 pound-feet of torque. Step up to the top-level Prestige trim at $77,800, and you’re more in BMW M550i xDrive territory, where the S6 is way down on power compared with the 4.4-liter turbo V8 in the Bimmer.Unlike the Euro model, our S6 will run on gasoline and be powered by the same 2.9-liter V6 engine that produces an extremely healthy 444 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque in the Audi RS 5. It’s is a very healthy if not wildly exciting powerplant, but this car isn’t exactly meant to be a hooligan. Unfortunately, there’s still no sign of the nerd-catnip Avant wagon version coming to the US.Some of the other highlights of the 2020 S6 include a 48-volt mild hybrid system that powers (among other things) an electric compressor that seeks to eliminate or at the very least drastically reduce turbo lag, making the engine more responsive. The compressor spins at a slow-compared-with-a-turbo 70,000 rpm but has a superfast 250-millisecond response time.The S6, of course, gets Quattro all-wheel drive and Audi’s latest eight-speed Tiptronic gearbox as standard and there will be an optional S sport package, for those drivers who want to turn the wick up a bit on a back road. Audi More From Roadshow 2019 BMW 330i xDrive review: The new and improved 3 Series 2020 Audi S6 gives the sedan a dash of sport 2019 Mercedes-AMG E53 Sedan review: A breath of fresh(er) air Share your voice 0 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback is a goody two-shoes 2020 BMW 7 Series first drive: Travel comfortably and carry a big grille Performance Cars Luxury cars Sedans Now playing: Watch this: Tags 39 Photos Post a comment Audilast_img read more

Saudis now call Khashoggi killing grave mistake

first_imgActivists and protesters march to the US Department of State building after holding a demonstration calling for sanctions against Saudi Arabia and against the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, outside the White House in Washington, US on 19 October. Photo: ReutersSaudi Arabia on Sunday called the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at its Istanbul consulate a “huge and grave mistake,” but sought to shield its powerful crown prince from the widening crisis, saying Mohammed bin Salman had not been aware.The comments from foreign minister Adel al-Jubeir were some of the most direct yet from Riyadh, which has given multiple and conflicting accounts about Khashoggi’s killing on 2 October, first denying his death and later admitting it amid an international outcry.“This was an operation that was a rogue operation. This was an operation where individuals ended up exceeding the authorities and responsibilities they had,” Jubeir said on the US broadcaster Fox.Related Coverage“They made the mistake when they killed Jamal Khashoggi in the consulate and they tried to cover up for it,” he said.The weeks of denial and lack of credible evidence in the face of allegations from Turkish officials that Khashoggi had been killed have shaken global confidence in ties with the world’s top oil exporter.US treasury secretary Stephen Mnuchin said Saudi Arabia’s admission that the Washington Post columnist was killed in a fistfight was a “good first step but not enough,” though he added it was premature to discuss sanctions against Riyadh.Three European powers – Germany, Britain and France – pressed Riyadh to provide facts, and chancellor Angela Merkel said Germany would not export arms to Saudi Arabia while uncertainty over Khashoggi’s fate persisted.Late on Sunday, the Saudi Press Agency said both Saudi king Salman and prince Mohammed had called Khashoggi’s son, Salah, to express condolences.Jubeir had extended condolences to Khashoggi’s family earlier on Sunday. “Unfortunately, a huge and grave mistake was made and I assure them that those responsible will be held accountable for this,” he told Fox.Jubeir said the Saudis did not know how Khashoggi, a Saudi national and US resident, had been killed or where his body was. He also said prince Mohammed was not responsible.Khashoggi vanished after entering the consulate to obtain documents for his upcoming marriage.After two weeks denying any involvement in the 59-year-old’s disappearance, Saudi Arabia on Saturday said Khashoggi, a critic of the crown prince, died during a fight in the building. An hour later, another Saudi official attributed the death to a chokehold.“Nothing can justify this killing and we condemn it in the strongest possible terms,” Germany, Britain and France said in their joint statement.“There remains an urgent need for clarification of exactly what happened … beyond the hypotheses that have been raised so far in the Saudi investigation, which need to be backed by facts to be considered credible.”The White House said late on Sunday that US president Donald Trump had spoken to French president Emmanuel Macron and the two had discussed a range of issues including circumstances surrounding Khashoggi’s death.Reflecting international scepticism over its account, a senior Saudi government official laid out a new version that contradicts previous explanations.The latest account includes details on how 15 Saudis sent to confront Khashoggi had threatened him with being drugged and kidnapped and killed him in a chokehold when he resisted. A member of the team dressed in Khashoggi’s clothes to make it appear as if he had left the consulate.Erdogan to SpeakTurkish officials suspect Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate by the Saudi agents and his body cut up. Turkish sources say authorities have an audio recording purportedly documenting Khashoggi’s murder.In a speech on Sunday, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan appeared to suggest he was getting ready to release some information about the Turkish investigation, and would do so at his weekly speech on Tuesday to members of his ruling AK Party.Erdogan has remained largely silent on the case, although Turkey’s pro-government newspapers have released information about events at the consulate.Turkey’s Anadolu agency said early on Monday that Erdogan and Trump had spoken on the telephone and agreed that “all aspects” of the case needed to be cleared up.For Saudi Arabia’s allies – particularly in the West – the question will be whether they believe that the prince, who has painted himself as a reformer, has any culpability. King Salman, 82, has handed the day-to-day running of Saudi Arabia to him.Trump calls Saudi account of Khashoggi death incomplete“I am not satisfied until we find the answer. But it was a big first step, it was a good first step. But I want to get to the answer,” Trump told reporters this weekend, when asked about the Saudi investigation and Riyadh’s firing of officials.In an interview with the Washington Post, Trump said that “obviously there’s been deception, and there’s been lies.” He had suggested last week that “rogue killers” might have been responsible for Khashoggi’s death, a comment critics called an effort to play down the crisis.A leading Republican US senator said he believed the crown prince was behind the killing, adding that the Saudis had lost credibility in their explanations of his death. “Yes, I think he did it,” Bob Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, told CNN, referring to the crown prince.King Salman ordered the dismissal of five officials, including Saud al-Qahtani, a royal court adviser seen as the right-hand man to Prince Mohammed, and deputy intelligence chief Ahmed Asiri, Saudi state media reported on Saturday.The king also ordered a restructuring of the intelligence service, to be led by Prince Mohammed, suggesting the prince still retained wide-ranging authority.Some governments and prominent executives have said they would pull out of a forthcoming investment conference in Saudi Arabia.According to the senior Saudi official, the Saudi team rolled up Khashoggi’s body in a rug, took it out in a consular vehicle and handed it to a “local cooperator” for disposal.last_img read more

NASAs New James Webb Space Telescope Survives Last Thermal Vacuum Test

first_img DEAL OF THE DAY Ads by Amazon $12.99 Ads by Amazon ENDS IN Related Products $22.14$29.95 (1) $35.60$49.99 All $0.99 NASA Approves James Webb Space Telescope Mirror Ar… DEAL OF THE DAY DEAL OF THE DAY Cosmos Wow facts 3Share this videoCopyPausePlay00:00% Buffered0PreviousPausePlayNextLive00:00 / 00:00UnmuteMuteExit fullscreenFullscreenCopy video urlPlay / PauseMute / UnmuteReport a problemLanguageBackMox PlayerDefaultEnglishEspañolУкраїнськаРусскийadvertisementNorthrup Grumman is NASA’s lead industrial partner for the project.One Step Closer To LaunchDuring the most recent environmental test, the space observatory was placed inside a special thermal vacuum chamber. The technicians and engineers removed the atmosphere from the chamber to replicate the vacuum of space. Then, they exposed the telescope to extremely hot and extremely cold temperatures ranging from -235 degrees Fahrenheit to 215 degrees Fahrenheit.This, according to NASA, will determine whether the hardware of the James Webb Space Telescope will be able to withstand temperature variations it will encounter throughout its mission.One-half of the observatory — the spacecraft element — completed testing at the facilities of Northrup Grumman. Meanwhile, the other half, which consists of the telescope and science instrument, has undergone testing at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston.The next step will be to connect both halves of the powerful observatory together. The space agency said that the James Webb Space Telescope, which is said to be the largest and most complex space telescope ever, will still have to undergo a final round of testing and evaluation before launch.NASA Sets Launch Date For James Webb Space TelescopeAfter a series of issues and delays, NASA has committed to launching the James Webb Space Telescope on March 30, 2021. The observatory, originally conceived in 1996, has been in development for the past two decades.The James Webb Space Telescope will study the history of the Universe. The observatory is born out of the collaboration between NASA, the European Space Agency, and the Canadian Space Agency.”The more we learn more about our universe, the more we realize that Webb is critical to answering questions we didn’t even know how to ask when the spacecraft was first designed,” said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator at NASA’s Science Mission Directorate, in a statement last year. “Webb is poised to answer those questions, and is worth the wait.” TAG James Webb Space Telescope, NASA, Hubble Space Telescope, Universe ENDS IN Bestseller (23) DEAL OF THE DAY ENDS IN ENDS IN Chandra’s Cosmos: Dark Matter, Black Holes, and Other Wo… (757) Bestseller Bestseller AllVideo On Demand: Rent or BuyClothing & AccessoriesMajor AppliancesArts, Crafts & SewingAutomotiveBaby & NurseryBeauty & GroomingBooks & TextbooksCollectible CoinsCamera & PhotoCell Phones & AccessoriesClassical MusicComputers, Tablets & ComponentsBlu-Ray & DVDElectronic Components & Home AudioEntertainment CollectiblesVideo GamesOther Gift Card BrandsGrocery & Gourmet FoodPatio, Lawn & GardenHealth & HouseholdBusiness & Industrial SuppliesJewelryKindle StoreKitchen & DiningMagazinesMiscellaneousDigital MusicCDs & VinylMusical InstrumentsOffice & School SuppliesPet Food & SuppliesPatio, Lawn & GardenShoes, Handbags, Wallets, SunglassesSoftwareSports CollectiblesSports & FitnessHome ImprovementToys & GamesVHSVideo GamesWatches Space Telescopes: Capturing the Rays of the Electromagnetic Spectrum (Astronomers’ Univ… Bestseller Close NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope has aced another critical test, this time to evaluate its ability to perform its role in the vacuum of space.On Thursday, May 30, the U.S. space agency announced that the upcoming successor to the Hubble Space Telescope has completed its final thermal vacuum test.”The teams from Northrop Grumman and NASA Goddard Space Flight Center are to be commended for a successful spacecraft thermal vacuum test, dedicating long hours to get where we are now,” stated Jeanne Davis, the program manager behind the observatory. ⓒ 2018 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.last_img read more